Out of about 3,350 limericks, acrostics and everything in between, Karin Bradberry’s “Javelina” took first place in the Writer’s Digest 5th Annual Poetry Awards competition, laying claim to $500 and a copy of Poet’s Market. Writer’s Market editor and in-house poetry guru Robert Lee Brewer selected the grand-prize entry from among the finalists.
“I loved ‘Javelina’ for a few reasons,” he says. “ ‘Javelina’ is a villanelle, but it’s a loose villanelle, which allows the poet to work within an established form but not be confined by the form. At the same time, this poem paints a picture of a family enjoying a day in nature in a way nature intended.”
The contest was open to poems of any style that were original, unpublished and 32 lines or fewer. The top 50 entries will be printed in a special collection, available for $11.95. Click here to order the collection. To find out how to enter the next competition, visit writersdigest.com/poetryawards.
THE TOP 10 WINNERS
1. “Javelina” BY KARIN BRADBERRY
2. “On Silver Street” BY LOUIS WILSON
3. “Inside the New Mall” BY KELLY FINEMAN
4. “Rosary Beads and Tarot Cards” BY MARCIA BROOKS
5. “Simonetta’s Pearls” BY IRIS LEE UNDERWOOD
6. “The Veil” BY IRIS LEE UNDERWOOD
7. “Sevenling: Deployed” BY SUELLEN WEDMORE
8. “Savannah” BY DAWN CULVERWELL
9. “Tethered” BY JULIE A. PIERCE
10. “Poppies” BY MELISSA GOODWIN
Become a WD VIP and Save 10%:
Get a 1-year pass to WritersMarket.com, a 1-year subscription to Writer’s Digest magazine and 10% off all WritersDigestShop.com orders! Click here to join.
Also check out these Writer’s Digest’s bestsellers:
Writing Metrical Poetry
Writing The Life Poetic
Get Your Poetry Published – OnDemand Webinar
Writer’s Digest 10 Years of Writer’s Digest: 2000-2009
Writer’s Digest Magazine One-Year Subscription